Monday, June 2

To the Streets...















I never know how to start these posts...other than to just jump right into what all is going on. Since I last wrote - I have had a lot of time to hang out and get to know the other interns that are here. What a blessing...I am worn out from the ongoing spiritual discussions that we have...these people are so bold, so real, and I am eating up every bit of their wisdom. For a better idea of my newfound friends here you go - a 24 year old who is a Theology major nearly fluent in Hebrew...a guy who is currently enrolled in school at the International House of Prayer (love it), a pre-law student, the cutest girl ever from Singapore, a woman in her mid fifties from England, another guy from Florida who has been through a drug rehab program himself, my roommate who just finished her freshman year up in Seattle and has been assigned to work in the radio department (God is so funny), many Canadians, and weirdly a lot of Australians with the coolest accents. Beyond this, I have friended many who work here at the Dream Center who at one time or another spent a year going through the discipleship/rehab program here...this are the people that intrigue and amaze me the most. I love the way the Word is always upon their lips.

Friday night - we went to Santa Monica which was so beautiful. The beach and the mountains all in one glance...what more could you want? I ended up in the middle of a street performance with a bunch of black dancing men along with another one of the guy interns, Adam. How things like this happen to me...I just don't know - but it was hilarious. I love street performers. It was nice to get out and see some of LA. I wish someone would have told me how cold it gets at night around here!! It's not cold - what have you Texans done to me? But it is chilly. The weather is phenomenal - get me out of nasty Texas now...sick...I don't think I realized just how horrible the weather is there until I came here. My windows are always open, the sun is always out, and the best description is just - perfect.
Ok...I know what you are thinking -- am I actually working? Well, here and there..yes. My official start date is tomorrow and things are about to pick up tremendously. However, it has been nice for them to ease us into the culture out here. Saturday we did hit the streets for the first time. Every Saturday at 10am - Adopt a Block takes place. This ministry is the heartbeat of everything that goes on here and everyone participates. Basically, bus loads of people are sent out all over LA to do humanitarian type work and to just love on people. I went to Skid Row, which is one of the most dangerous areas of LA. To say I wasn't scared would be a lie...I was pretty dadgum nervous a lot of the time we were out there (I guess thats part of the first time). When we arrived there was a line of homeless people waiting for us in order to be fed. We fed them and then walked around the area passing out Cliff bars (thought about you Brooks), water, and Daily Breads/tracks -- asking people if we could pray for them. As we began to walk around, the leader of my group (a very large black man whom I stayed within an arms distance from the entire time) said to me - "we like to get right in there in the middle of everything, in the middle of drug deals, we like to break up those demons. You don't need an invitation Katie, the Spirit is with us." I just looked at him and took a deep breath. Once again, help my unbelief Lord. We saw drug deals taking place - cars driving up to the curb, taking care of business, and quickly moving on. I would converse with some and as we continued to walk I would learn that those were some of the biggest dealers. Deep breath again. Our journey continued to Heroine Alley where once again I was reassured as someone claimed "The Spirit is still here"...Here I believe I met an angel with her two young daughters. She was a believer and before I knew it, one of the Hispanic men in our group was beckoning me to come and pray over this woman and her children. She was very fearful for her small daughters' safety. What an opportunity...how blessed I was to hear this woman proclaim the goodness and power of her Savior right there in the streets, as she pushed a grocery cart with her entire life in it. Who am I that I should be here, that I should have this privilege to intercede on behalf of this daughter of the King? I am His.
I cannot tell you how rewarding it is to minister alongside many who have been where these people have been. They know, they understand, they communicate so well. When any doubt would linger in my mind - within seconds it was like the Lord whispered to me: Look Katie, as you minister you are seeing the very fruit of your ministry through the people that are right beside you ministering as well. Wow. It's been the coolest thing to see here - these people know what genuine discipleship looks like and it is encouraging to see - I believe this is an area that the church lacks greatly across America.
I love this place because they see a need anywhere - and they fix it immediately, I am talking like within ten minutes. Little discussion and much action. Amen. Some more words of wisdom that have been given to me since I have been here .. "Don't ever offer a suggestion without willing to be part of the solution." Woooo...count me guilty...I am full of suggestions, yet much less willing to be a solution.
Until next time...

2 comments:

Drew and Kim said...

You know that we are praying for you constantly. What a privilege my daughter, to serve the lost and broken-hearted. I know that you will come home a changed woman. Love and miss you! Mom

Kari said...

Katie!

You are so amazing.

I can hear your sweet voice praying over that mom and her girls just like the many times that you and I have prayed together.

What an amazing experience and revelation for you! God is so good and He is so right to have you there ministering to and being ministered to as well!!!

Can't wait to hear how your first day goes!

Miss you and I am praying for you!

luv ya!