Monday, June 16

Just an Update...

Where to begin...? Let's talk about cold showers, maybe one of my least favorite things. They occur pretty often around these parts...and you never quite know when you are going to be blessed with one. Haha, somehow I have learned to just get over it, there's not much I can do about it, aye? (Those Canadians and their lingo..rubbing off on me) Secondly, let me tell you about one of my favorite places here..its called "Yogurt Land" and it is simply glorious. If you know anything about me you know that ice cream is the fastest way to my heart. This place has 21 flavors of yogurt...from cookies and creme, new york cheesecake, taro (i dont know what that is, but soo flippin good), peanut butter, etc. Upon entering this place you get a carton (literally, its huge)..and it is all self-serve, followed by a gigantic bar of toppings (self-serve as well) which includes every type of fruit imaginable, cereal, cookie dough, oreos, cheesecake bites..everything. You get the picture - it's phenomonal. Moving on to a more serious note...

The last couple days have been really good. Thursday I was out and about doing outreach in the morning and the afternoon. We had short term teams...and one day we had a lemonade stand on the corner of a busy intersection right next to a bus stop. It was eventful - and I had the most unique group of high schoolers I have ever seen from Idaho. Their youth pastor and his wife were awesome and their hearts amazed me. Youth ministry is such a calling - and the call was evident in them. I love to see and watch people living in the center of the Lord's destiny for their life. Thursday afternoon I was on the food truck...we went to two different sites...providing groceries for people. The truck was loaded down - and I was in the back with some other interns sitting on canned tomatoes. The food trucks travel to 31 different sites each week. I went to the Russian site...you have to watch out for those Russians. They weren't the nicest of individuals...and you really have to watch them - otherwise they try to steal food when you turn your back. Or they will say, "Awww, but you are so beautiful, just ONE more for me!" They know how to work the system. It is so fun to spend everyday just blessing others - what in the world?!!!

Saturday...Adopt-a-Block went well. I'm getting settled into my site and beginning to get to know the people - I feel like the Projects are my second home. I was informed the other day that my site (Imperial Courts) is probably the most dangerous areas of Southern Cali (one of the men who went through the rehab program here told me that the other day). People always ask me if I'm fearful, and sure I have my moments -- but you can't go far around here without being reminded by someone that we have the Holy Spirit. We all know that - but do you believe it? Do you walk by faith into the unknown, into danger? If not, my assumption is you don't really believe...I've wrestled with this. Faith without risks is in fact no faith at all. I met a woman who has seven children...ages 10 and under. The two youngest kids are twin babies that are 3 months old. However, they looked extremely sickly and tiny...I held them, they weighed maybe 7-8 lbs. This was the family's first time to Adopt-a-Block and we were able to bless them with baby backpacks and a bouncer seat. About an hour later I saw this woman pushing her stroller with several of her small children alongside of her as she walked around the projects collecting alchohol from neighbors..vodka, beer, etc. This is when my job becomes extremely hard on me...emotionally. When the children are involved, which there are children always involved it seems...it kills me, this absolutely wrecks my heart. Hopefully I will get to visit with her again next week. Until then, once again - all I can do is pray...

Sunday morning I was back out at the Projects picking up children and families for church on the bus. On the way home that afternoon I was sitting with this little four year old boy, Kevin. He told me of his dreams to be a firefighter and how he was going to be a hard worker. He looked me in the eyes, and said, "One day I'm going to be able to go wherever I want to go, and then I'm going to buy me a house...and it gonna be lookin' clean, I'm going to keep it real clean". There went my heart again - it blew my mind that all this four year old boy wants one day is a clean house...what four year old says that? He then laid his head down on the seat (he said his tummy hurt), I scratched his back and prayed repeatedly "God bless his little soul...keep him for You."

Last night I went to church at Mosaic (Erwin McManus's church) in downtown LA. I absolutely loved it there. It meets downtown in the Mayan Theater...which is a nightclub. The worship was really powerful - church is just way different altogether out here in west. I like it. People are just real out here...add that with the whole "artsy" factor - it's awesome. I loved the environment and the Word was brought. I was sitting there talking with some of my intern friends and in walks American Idol's own - Jason Castro, my friend/aquaintance from A&M. He sat right behind me so we got to chat for a few minutes. There was another Aggie there as well who is interning in LA for the summer...Aggies are taking over the world, I'm telling you. Needless to say, it was good to see some people from Aggieland...it's been a couple weeks.

I'm tired of writing...and I feel like this is just a pretty basic update. I hope today finds you all well - and oh yes...a little shoutout to Joel Upton who sent me some mail last week :) The rest of you - slackers. Ha...just kidding, love you all!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update! You will be getting some mail/goodies from the Griffey clan soon....warning, the kids packed the box....I'm sorry!. :) Totally busted out in tears talking about you with your mom yesterday.....God has just put you and your parents on my heart right now! Just want to bless your family....you guys are incredible!!!!!

Joel said...

Sweeeeet, if that's all it takes to get mentioned on your blog I'm going to start forwarding you all my old issues of TIME Magazine and Car and Driver!!!