Friday, June 27

Still Alive

Yep, I am still alive. The last week has been a whirlwind and I have had very little down time...so needless to say, I have much to update you on. Last week we experienced what Californians refer to as a "heat wave". I'm not sure if I have previously mentioned that my room does not have air conditioning - but it doesn't...which up until last week was not an issue. However, during those several days of pretty extreme heat, I wasn't sure I was going to make it. I love the heat when I'm outside...but when there is no escape - it's tough. I didn't get much sleep...and for those of you that know me - that's not good. I know this is just one more way for me to somewhat be able to relate to the people I'm ministering to...once again, it's hard to complain - at least I have a bed, a pillow, and a roof.

I spent a good majority of my week at Skid Row last week. I was out there every afternoon feeding hot meals to the homeless. Mind you, hot meals on these very hot days...but the people didn't care, we fed 300 one afternoon. One day I was working the water table - and I was given the opportunity to see what it means and even what it looks like for one to be truly thirsty. Here's an excerpt from my prayer journal later that evening..."True thirst. It is evident. It is the longing that consumes oneself. It drives one - it sends one searching for something, for anything that will satisfy. Today I met thirsty people, I touched the thirsty, I conversed with the thirsty, I prayed for the thirsty. I looked into their blood-shot eyes and I handed each one a cup of cold water. Immediately the water was consumed. Ease overtook their countenance and a hint of grateful joy gleamed from those weary eyes. Many asked for more - I gave freely. That is the beauty of tasting and seeing that something is good...one cannot help but be left longing for more. The same goes for my Jesus. He will give of the fountain of the water of life freely to him who thirsts (Rev. 21:6). Let me understand what it means to be thirsty.. make me a never-ending reservoir, a deep abyss so that You may rain down the fountain of the water of life. I defined by my thirst - so find me always with unquenchable thirst and perpetual hunger."

This week we have over 250 people here on short term missions. I love hanging out with the teams, I have been amazed this week by some of the youth we have had in here - their hearts are focused, their spirits broken, and their tears are real...my ministry gets assigned different teams on various days and basically we just invade LA and do random acts of kindness. Yesterday we spent all day at MacArthur Park with different teams. We handed out free lollipops, Popsicles, balloons, and lemonade. Others were assigned to pick up trash in the park as well as a trash pickup along the streets. We also had an area set aside to pray for people. I wish I could give you a visual as to what all this looked like going down at once. This park is huge, and is divided in half by a psycho intersection with multiple bus stops - all I am saying is...this place was crawling with people, and here comes the Dream Center...signs in hand reading "Free Lemonade", "Free Candy", "Someone Sick? Need Prayer?", and "Dream Center Loves LA"... Many asked to be prayed over -- to be set free from alcoholism, while others accepted Christ right there on the streets. One older man walked by and caught my eye as he had the cutest little two year old holding one hand and a four year old holding the other. He began to explain that both his son and his daughter-in-law are in the Federal Prison - he wants someone from the Dream Center to go visit them and pray for them. My heart broke. The kids had obviously been put in his care. His heart was evident and his love genuine - but clearly he was too old to be caring for these young children. The kiddos licked a lollipop and patiently waited as their grandfather explained the situation...I just couldn't take my eyes off of them - so beautiful, so innocent. I think I have been pretty thrown off by peoples' receptivity to what we are offering and sharing with them. We live in an age of desperation...people are searching, people are curious, people are thrown off and really intrigued by a love that is asking for nothing in return. I wrestle with this as well - why is my love not more evident in day to day life even back at school...why do people not notice a love in me that is not asking for anything in return? It shouldn't take me handing out a free lollipop... Often times I fail miserably at sharing His love...In fact, I think I may just now be learning what that REALLY means...what it really means to love people daily - for the sake of my Savior. I know I'll forever be learning this concept, but I do feel like I am taking some steps in that direction. Praise God.

As for me...many of you asked just to hear how I'm doing and how you can be praying for me. I am doing really well...but to be vulnerable...Honestly, I have been feeling a little bit exhausted lately. A lot of this amounts to continually being on the front lines. The spiritual warfare that I am facing and that this ministry faces daily is the real deal. There are times when I am overcome by the demonic spirit of oppression that envelops LA...I have a very discerning spirit and it is obvious what is taking place in the spiritual realms when I begin to converse with some on the streets. With that, I am more than a conqueror when I am walking and operating in His Spirit - and there is no greater peace or joy than that. Satan does not like what is going on here, in fact he hates it...and the war that is being waged is evident. This can be exhausting and the minute I slip back into doing things Katie's way...I am done for. Pray for surrender. Pray for the people of LA, this city needs it. Pray for spiritual strength even more than physical strength. Pray for much love. Pray for a teachable spirit. Pray for focus..focus for today. Pray for my time alone, for times of quietness...this has been hard, being a girl in LA is different from being a girl in College Station...and I don't really feel comfortable going anywhere alone - combine this with my independent nature and you understand my need for prayer :)

To all of you - I cannot thank you enough for all of the letters, phone calls, boxes of greatness, emails, and encouraging words. I have been blessed beyond belief. You are too good to me...and everyone in my office is always jealous of my mail...and my roommates love all of you. I love it. You guys are the best.

Blessed are the poor in spirit, For theirs is the kingdom of Heaven. Matthew 5:3

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this glimpse into your daily struggle. I pray at this moment for God to give you supernatural strength of heart, mind and spirit as you go out into the city once again today. I pray for your protection physically and spiritually. Your words bring me so much joy and so many tears!! I love you! Mom

Anonymous said...

I have a godly jealousy for what you are doing and I LOVE to hear about this. I know it is not you, but it is the Spirit within you. I cannot tell you how refreshing it is to know someone like this! I just love you Katie! Thank you for your heart... oh, how I miss you! I have joined the blogging world, but I am not sure how to do a lot. You can see the ever growing belly at perrysrus.blogspot.com... Praying for you, Katie. Love you!
Blaire