Tuesday, July 29

Acts 20

The beauty of Scripture...that it's power never fades, that life is spoken through the Word each time I read it, no matter how many times I have read it before...this week I have been taken back to a couple of Scriptures that have had a profound effect on my life...I was looking back over some of my writings/prayers and came across a passage that I was really praying through on my journey of finding the Lord's will for this summer...Written exactly six months ago...I feel closer to being at this point than I ever have before -- yet still so much further to go to be able to confidently proclaim this longing within the depths of me.

"If only I could stand before my family, my colleagues, my roommates, my coworkers, my church body, my peers, my enemies...if only I could fall at my King's feet and boldly proclaim Paul's honest reflections in Acts 20:18-35....As I continue to journey and wander from earthly city to earthly city, I am determined to be able to speak Paul's meek words...Based on how I have always lived before men and among men - each will know that I sought to wholly serve he Lord with all humility. In the midst of the tears and endless trials as I chose to strive with fallen man...still I withheld nothing that might profit your soul; instead I proclaimed it loudly in the crowded marketplace and within my own home. I testified to all peoples, I continually spoke of the beauty of repentance toward God and the joy of running in faith toward my Beloved. The Holy Spirit has bound me so that I must continue forth to a new city - so that all might know. All I have is the Holy Spirit, it is only He that goes with me...it is not I, but the Spirit that testifies all things. I was fully aware of the the chains that would attempt to take me captive and of the countless tribulations that would await me always. But it simply did not detour my passionate longing to speak on behalf of my Bridegroom. My life doesn't carry any worth in this city, it means nothing to me. All I want is to finish this race with joy unspeakable. I am here for the ministry of love, to testify the wondrous Gospel of Grace. I must keep moving onward...I must tell all. I am innocent of the blood of all men, only because I have chosen to declare the love, mercy, and justice of my Jesus. I have warned, faithfully warned my brethren of the schemes of the evil one. I did not covet any others' wealth or possessions. Instead I trusted the Jesus I was serving to provide for me only that which is necessary. I have demonstrated to you by all that I do and say - that it is necessary and even more rewarding to support and love those that are the weakest. It is not I, but our Savior who declares, "It is more blessed to give than to receive.""

Read Acts 20 for yourself. Forget my words. Make it your own prayer.


One story ... in a time crunch as always...but I wanted to tell you about Allison. Allison is a woman I met on Skid Row about two weeks ago. As I walked around the area where we were serving food, I prayed very specifically that the Spirit would lead me to the one whom I needed to speak with. As I walked the grounds, as I do every week...I prayed intently. I caught a lady's eyes as I walked and just smiled at her. Her face lit up and she returned a smile. I saw something different in her eyes, and the Spirit whispered "Go Katie, go show her My Love"... I walked towards her and began a conversation with this woman, Allison. As we talked about my internship and what I was doing this summer she expressed great interest in the Dream Center and our discipleship/rehab program. I explained to her more about the program -- and long story short...I was able to load this woman in my car (Shawn's car) and bring her back to the Dream Center with me and enroll her in the discipleship program. She has committed to be here a year - pray that the Lord gives her strength to remain. She has made it through one of the most difficult stages I believe, the detox within the first week. It brings me such joy to see her on campus here with all the other discipleship women. I cannot speak with her beyond a simple hello...but I know my prayers are so much more effective than anything I could ever converse with her about. Praise the Lord...for he receives the prodigals with open arms. Help me to do the same Jesus.

Tired of writing...be blessed.

2 comments:

adam said...

Whoa! This is really good! You should consider writing books.

By the way, you were a revelation playing tennis tonight. You nearly blasted Simone off the court. Literally.

Bye!

Drew said...

It encourages my soul to read about all that our good Savior is teaching you. I love you!