Sunday, June 14

Reason Less.

"Reason is a whore, the greatest enemy of faith." -- Luther

I am discovering my insatiable hunger for reason.
For sense.
For explanation.
For answers.

The art of reasoning...
This I have mastered.
With whom do I reason?
My heart reasons with my mind.
My mind reasons with my flesh.
My flesh reasons with this world.
This world reasons with the Enemy of all.

What do I reason about?
My intellect.
Tomorrow.
Time.
Relationships.
My own weaknesses.
Next year.
Sin.
Perspectives.
Love.
Provision.
My will.
His will.
The opinions of others.
My profession.
Justice.



...occasionally I might beckon God with a question enveloped with doubt...
leaving Him little to no time to respond,
before my own cycle of reasoning continues on.

Hear me.
I cherish the times I wrestle with God.
Honest dialogue with my Jesus...there is no sweeter thing.
The tears, the exhaustion, the questions...the love, the joy, the faith that follows when at last I collapse in the arms of my Maker, the One who defies all Reason. This is Beauty. This is different.

I hate arguing.
However, I must tell you...I reason well.
Reasoning has captured me.
Bound me.
Oh it literally suffocates me.
I reason long.
I reason often.
Let me confess...I choose reason more than I choose faith.

But let me also share with you this.
Faith is so much more exhilarating.
So much more rewarding.
So much more the way of Jesus.
So much easier.
Yes, I said easier.

Reason less,
Pray more.
Reason less,
Dream more.
Reason less,
Love more.
Reason less,
Listen more.

May faith set the precedent for your today and every day.

2 comments:

Jessica said...

This was very insightful of not only our human nature.. but myself. I find myself reasoning so often in life, wondering what tomorrow will be like based on today.. wondering what my future will be like when we need not worry - but just put it in the hands of God.

Good blog, it allowed me to self reflect and evaluate my reasoning skills vs trust in God.

Miss you so much!! Hope your well!!

Sharon said...

Katie, what a beautiful woman of God you've become! Your honesty, humility, and insight are a refreshing blessing and it is so apparent that God is the center of your life. Continue to allow Him to use you as you bless others for His glory.

Jeff and I are praying for Erin and her family as well as Austin and yours.

Miss you!